Julie's Flemish Peasant

Cuz every girl needs a dress that can roll in the hay.

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Smocks!!!!

If anyone has read my blogs, particularly the "thunderhosen" one, you know that my husband is a rather endearingly silly man. And it just so happens that "smock" is one of his favorite words to say for absolultey no reason at all. (that and "mukluk", which is some kind of alaskan footwear). Anyway, he was absolutely jumping with glee when he saw me google searching for the Elizabethan Costuming Page's SMOCK!!! Generator.

I generated my smock pattern. And then I deviated from it. I was trying to save fabric, since I only had 2 yards of hanky weight. I figured I'd need a pretty slim and short smock so as to have enough leftover later for caul and partlet. I made it slimmer (but still big enough to fit my hips, so not all THAT slim really. Heh) and rather short (knee length).
Here is what I ended up with for my pattern:


I had a minor panic attack when i cut out my sleeves and saw how much shorter than my arms they were. But no worries, as the body width accomodates. Yay math. Well, yay math except for when you measure your biceps wrong. I find that this chemise is a bit snug around my "guns," but not unbearably so, so I will leave it for now. And if it bothers me, I'll just add a little strip or gusset. No problemo.
Here is my slimmed down chemise for peasant wear. Its downright tiny compared to my other 3:

"That thing is so wrinkled it looks slept in," you say. Well, that is cuz I did, indeed, sleep in it. And am too lazy to iron for the pic. You can't see the bottom, but it ends right around my knees (and is nowhere near levelly hemmed, which doesn't bother me since its underwear). Unfortunately, my mirror isn't long enough to show all. I don't need to be posting my ugly knees on here anyway.

Oh, and a moment for the linen. YUM. I've actually never sewn with linen before. Its texture had me buzzing around the sewing room (okay, its really a dining room) in a glow. Yes, I'm clearly a novice costumer if I've never worked with linen. But allow me to just revel in its wonderfulness. I don't think I can ever go back when it comes to chemises/camicas/smocks.

2 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Ah, very nice. I shall now blatantly steal your pattern. Bwa ha ha ha ha. Well, 'cept for the arms, eh?

9:17 AM  
Blogger Julebug said...

You might be okay with these arms. I think yours are skinnier up top than mine. :-) To get it right, just measure your bicep and add 3ish inches to the top of your sleeve. And if you want seam allowance at the wrists, add that too--i didn't fuss with that, since my sleeve bottoms were conveniently on the selvage. The fewer hems, the better, in my opinion.

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home