Julie's Flemish Peasant

Cuz every girl needs a dress that can roll in the hay.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Corset Lessons

Right, well, its done (except for eyelet coverings). I learned a few valuable lessons:

1) beware of expanding edges. Somehow one side of my front edge got to be about 1.5 inches longer than the other. This was most umcomely and caused me a bit of a pain to fix. I think it was caused by a combination of building it on the bias and threading the hemp through one side in a manner that required more scrunching and unscrunching of fabric (before hubby engineered the shish-kabob-crochethook-bobbypin "thingy" to make threading easier).

2)my dog is a would be pot-head. I caught him eating my hemp cord on more than one occasion.

3) When you make a mental note to raise the neckline on the final pattern, remember to do it. This is lower cut than i intended, but oh well.





Its light-weight, comfy, flexible and still holds all my bits in. I actually wish it were a bit rounder in the bust, but i didn't do the "s" so I can't really be too picky. ;-)

Onto the dress!

5 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Looks like it worked out well. Maybe I coulda done mine without the s-curve too. Very trim. Very nice.

My dogs had a thing for the help too. So much so that I caught one chewing on a bit hanging out of the bodice. So beware. Gurgi may try to gnaw on you.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Julebug said...

I'm just glad I caught him before he swallowed it. That would've been not fun at all a bit later...

As for the s, I think yours will look more like the paintings, since mine flattens quite a bit. But we're both able to check corset of the to-do list, so I'm content.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Indeed. Check!

I have to confess, I spent some time sewing over the weekend, but it was on a modern dress. I'll get it done this week, I promise!

Oh. And knitting stockings is not. going. to. happen. I did a few inches, did the math, and decided I didn't have that much time to knit. Not white wool at any rate. Rip, rip, rip.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Julebug said...

Hehe, no modern sewing allowed. Something you could wear on a normal day? Absolutely not. ;-) Whats the dress like?

I confess to having "real" clothes waiting to be sewn (and in some absolutely adorable fabrics too). The reason I've not got round to them yet is that they require zippers, and my renfest sewing has most definitely NOT taught me how to do that.

Sorry to hear bout the stockings--there's always fabric ones, they're definitely faster. I almost bought a silk knit fabric to make some fancy ones for my courtesan. Then I talked myself out of it, since it was kinda pricey and I managed to "run" the swatch, which seemed like a bad omen.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Um, the "real" dress is for a wedding later this summer. I'm harping for friends. They don't care what I wear, so I'm wearing musician's black. But it's in August and outside. So I wanted black cotton for breathability. And a slightly full skirt for the harp. And sleeves that hide my pudgy arms but don't hinder playing. And preferably drape nicely for effect. And oh, I'd like white trim on it. But on the left side, not the right because of the harp again. And blah blah blah. I figured it would take less time to make it than to find it by shopping. Especially around here.

The thing is, I kind of like it at the current sleeveless stage. But I'd like it with sleeves too. Wish I could just tie them on, eh?

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home