Julie's Flemish Peasant

Cuz every girl needs a dress that can roll in the hay.

Friday, July 22, 2005

The Little Engine that Could

I seem to have lost some major steam on this project. Whether its related to the steamy MD weather, I do not know. For some reason, I just haven't been sewing inspired. Here is my latest attempt at doing something. ANYTHING.....


I decided I'd make something ridiculously simple. A caul. Why not make the accessories first, says I? That way when I'm finished the dress, I'm actually finished--should feel like fewer fiddly bits! That'll be far different than what I'm used to. Hopefully refeshingly so. So far I'm finished the socks and caul, and next I've got my partlet planned. And perhaps an apron. A white-linen theme.... Then onto the dress. Yes, I'm clearly putting off my fabric dyeing. I'm a wimp. Also, a large boiling pot when its 85% humidity just sounds like a disgusting proposition.

I used the directions for a simple caul from Drea Leed's site. I chose an 11 inch round, since that's how big my handiest-for-tracing-round dish was. That's all folks.

caul

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

'bout time!!! Giggle.

I love the caul. Last night, I forgot to bind my hair before bed...I nearly strangled myself in my sleep. I wonder if I should make one for modern uses....

10:44 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

very nice. surprisingly flattering too. i somehow expected it to look like a chef's hat.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Julebug said...

Whee! Chef Julie. For the record, adam gave me one of the strangest looks when he got hom and I was wearing the caul. I'd forgotten that i still had it on, so I had no idea what he was talking about.

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, almost a year after the original post I have a question :) How did you get the caul to stay on your head? Mine likes to slip off....

10:44 PM  
Blogger Julebug said...

I cheat! ;) I have sewn little loops of thread into the band, and I put bobby pins through them and into my hair. not exactly period, I suppose, but keeps it on my head all day, and you can't see the pins.

12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, I like that idea. I'll have to give it a try! Thanks :)

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home