Julie's Flemish Peasant

Cuz every girl needs a dress that can roll in the hay.

Monday, July 25, 2005

Magenta Finger

Its the more flamboyant version of the famous James Bond film. No, wait. Its my finger after fabric-dyeing. ACK! How did PEACH dye make my finger MAGENTA, I'd like to know? Its just not natural.

Oh, more importantly, how did peach dye make my fabric.....ORANGE? Or, tangerine, really? Its quite a bit more vibrant than I'd expect for peasant gear, or for peach. I realized too late that I should've added a bit of brown dye in the vat to mute it (vat makes it look even more orange, to be fair).



THe result is the salmony in the pic below. Maybe I could overdye it with a very dilute brown mix? Hrm. Or soak it in coffee. Or i could just leave it as is and be a brilliant little peasant. What does the peanut gallery think? Its really not a bad color. Though I think its brighter in person than in the below photo. Shocking. ;-)



In other news, I'm having color choice dilemmas. Again. It took me weeks and weeks to decide on the colors for my original sketch. And now, of course, I'm having second thoughts. Why? Well, mostly cuz I found that loverly pale yellow linen (above) at the thrift store. Hmmmm, so, do i swap out one of my colors for yellow? I have no idea. I decided since I was keen on peach, I'd dye that first and see how it came out. I thought "If I like it, i'll use it. If not, i'll overdye it brown or red for another part of the dress"....

The prob is I don't know if i like it... I could do the kirtle peach with a brown/yellow overdress. But if I get hot and take off the overdress, I will be "Little Miss Wow-Peachy-Peacheekins". Or I could throw that blue in somewhere. Help. I'm so friggin indecisive. Argh.

2 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Ok, you asked for comments...you get them....

On my screen, it's totally pink. Pink pink pink. Not peach, not salmon, cotton candy pink. So I say....barf!!!! Pink would make Niter entirely too happy and we can't have that. I say overdye that puppy with something, anything. Mute it out a bit. And then go with your original general color scheme...earthy stuff. The blue's too pretty. Save it for something purdier.

Ok, that's my 5 cents. Back to the salt mines. Feel free to throw stuff....just not pink stuff...please ;)

2:04 PM  
Blogger Julebug said...

Hehe, well, I assure you its not pink pink. Though the online pic is off, the real fabric is more like a very bright but pale orange. Think washed out fluorescent orange marker. Either way, poor. I will have a pink dress someday (as you well know), but today is not that day.

I have since decided to mute it out with brown dye, and hope afterwards it will make a color similar to a lot of the market scene paintings (which was my original, unsuccessful intent). If not, I will dye it completely brown and be done with it.

I agree with the blue. It will have a life as something else. Though I can't think of what (yet). As if i need to add another project to the to-do list...

4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home