Julie's Flemish Peasant

Cuz every girl needs a dress that can roll in the hay.

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Glad That's Over

I find that impatiently waiting to see what color I end up with is incredibly stressful. ;-) Fun, but only when the color miraculously turns out to be something I like....I'm finally pleased with my colors and ready to move on.

First, I overdyed the garrish peach with a diluted bath of "golden brown." This yielded something that could be described as onionskin, sweet potato, adobe, or terra cotta. I love it. It is my favorite part of the fabrics for this project, and thus I will use it to make the kirtle. Seems counter-intuitive, as the kirtle is largely covered up, I guess. But then, when i'm hot (or lazy), it will be a stand-alone dress, and get more attention. Ditto for when its hot and I flip up the outer dress's skirts.

For my other color choices: Since I'd abandoned the idea of peach as an accent color, I figured it was a good excuse to use the pale yellow that I already have, which is great, cuz i really love it. Additional benefits of this: it means one less bout with the dye pot, as well as saving my white linen for later projects. The pale yellow will be the underside of the overdress.
For the third color, I decided I couldn't do the brown as originally planned, since the onionskin fabric was already significantly like the only shade of brown dye i had, and I didn't want to be redundant (as authentic as this probably would've been). So, I've decided to stick with the red that had been in my original plan.

When it came to coloring the red, I was deathly afraid of repeating the super-bright fiasco as with the peach. So, I pre-emptively added a bit of black and brown to mute and darken it. I'm pleased with the outcome, except that it is a bit dark/pale splotchy in a few places. I'll just use the peasant excuse, eh--couldn't afford quality fabrics, right?? The green in the below pic is what i think I'll do sleeves with, for contrast.



Now the the palette is FINALLY finished, perhaps I'll actually get around to sewing the dress, eh? In nosing about the Web Gallery, I was happy to notice that this Vegetable Seller painting from Beuckelaer has a very similar scheme:


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home