Julie's Flemish Peasant

Cuz every girl needs a dress that can roll in the hay.

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Creamsicle

Today, not only did I GO to renfest (noncostumed), but I also worked on my costume for NEXT weekend's renfesting. So very productive when I have to be...

My evening was spent bodicing. I decided to line my bodice in heavy non-stretchy canvas in an attempt to make it sturdy without needing boning. After I cut out the lining, I tried it on with my lacing strips, and made a few changes--shortened the torso, made the straps a bit narrower and the neckline a bit higher. I threw caution to the wind at this point and decided to cut into my dyed orange linen (afraid of screwing up since I only dyed 3.5 yds--just enough for the dress).

I've finished sewing the bodice lining into the bodice, and gave it another test try-on with the lacing strips. I also pinned some fabric around the waistline to see what sort of gathering/pleating I might like to do. I think I've decided on the small box pleats off to the front sides, with a flat front to avoid pouchiness under the over dress. Here's what it may look like:


bodice and pleats Posted by Picasa



No, your eyes aren't playing tricks on you. The fabric color really IS mottled, thanks to a botched dye job. ;) And there is that pesky under boob wrinkle. I assume the weight of the skirt once sewn on will help that a bit. I could bone it, but honestly, this is supposed to be my comfy dress. And I'm justifying it by saying that many of the flemish paintings featured wrinkly bodiced ladies. So its authentic....yes....
Oh, and I couldn't wait to try on the partlet with the bodice/dress, so that's why that pic is there.

So, to do:
1) Put eyelets into bodice for lacing--I"m considering the big ole grommets, as it will be a time saver, and theoretically covered by the overdress. I can always thread cover them later. But i really hate the big ones. I just don't know if i could finish eyelets in time....
2) Pleat and Attach skirt to bodice
3) Sleeves--I plan to whip these out fast.
4)Overdress?--If there is time
5) Black partlet?--I picked up a remnant today, just in case

Maybe:
Prewash skirt lining (a cotton/linen I picked up today for $2/yd)
Assemble skirt and lining

So, question for the peanut gallery:
I am not positive about lining the skirt. I think it will give it more weight since the linen is pretty light. It would make it hotter for summer, I guess (but it is a cotton/linen lining, so not too bad). That above pic is with two layers of my linen pinned on, and I like the fullness, so maybe lining would be good. What do you guys think? Keep in mind that the overdress skirt will be 2 layers of linen, too. I can't decide!

Oh, and what do you think of my eyelet predicament? Big grommets, or little ones that will take me much time to cover with thread (i do have a decent commute to work where I could probably do this, though).

4 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Julie - I can tell you what I did...I cheated. I used lacing rings on the inside. I was discussing the merits of eyelets vs. covered grommets with the dress engineer and happened to mention lacing rings. He thought they were an obvious choice, since this dress isn't going to be on display much. It only took me about an hour to sew in 40 of them. I ended up deciding to lightly bone my bodice actually. Hopefully later whem Aaron gets up, I can take a picture or two for you. Perhaps by then, there will be a skirt as well.

Love the dye job.

Cheers!

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second the light boning in the bodice, even though I never have made a bodice to speak off and I really, truly do comprise the peanut gallery.

I vote for line the skirt. Love that feeling of a good, weighty skirt.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Ok, so now I've had some coffee and am actually somewhat awake. Sorry, addressed the question that didn't exist, didn't address the one that did! I'm on the fence with lining. I'm not doing it, partly because I don't have fabric. But then, my linen seems really heavy for this part of the outfit anyway. I've made all decisions (even the boning one) based on my comfort so far for this dress, so I'd probably so no boning.

As for the wrinkled bodice, I think it looks fine. I tried without boning and it just didn't feel comfortable to me. Mentally that is. So if you're getting enough support, it looks really authentic. I just wasn't sure the girls wouldn't migrate south. Try the jumping up and down test. I did.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Julebug said...

First: Oooooh, lacing rings! The thought hadn't even crossed my mind, but that is brilliant. That way, its functional quickly, and if i ever want to go back and do small eyelets, the fabric is pristine (ie, no large grommet holes). I am copycating that.

Second: I have decided no boning for authenticity. My "girls" are quite bound by the heavy canvas (if they migrate, i'll fetch them), the wrinkle is authentic, and I'm lazy.

Third: The lining of my skirt will depend on whether or not the fabric is washed and dried by the time I finish putting in lacing rings. ;) If I don't use the sage fabric, it'll just be extra for the middle class tudor or elizabethan I've got in mind.

Thank you, my little peanuts. Beth--take pictures!!!!!!! ;)

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home