Julie's Flemish Peasant

Cuz every girl needs a dress that can roll in the hay.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

The Eleven Day Race

I have let this project go in a major way. My renfest date with Beth and (hopefully) Niter is 11 days and counting. It occurs to me that I better get my butt into gear and knock out my peasant gear!

So, I've got the caul, smock, partlet and corset. Lets ignore the fact that I've put on 25 lbs since April, thus making my wonderful new corded corset...tight. Tight is a bit of an understatement..."Unyieldingly and constricting-ly body-hugging" might be a more apt term.
So, what to do with the rest of the costume? I think I will make it of the size to fit the corset, so that it all matches SOMEday. Meanwhile, I may opt out of corsetry wear for this go-round of renfesting. The kirtle is gonna be side lacing, so if the gaps are a little bigger, so be it. They will be under the outergown, anyway (assuming I finish the outer gown in time, which is a leap of faith on my part).

So, last night I dug out all my fabrics, and also lined up my finished pieces on the table to make myself feel better.
I think its working, as today I've felt a very keen desire to go fishing about on my favorite costuming sites--something that I actually haven't done for quite some time.

On the agenda for tonight--Bodice Drafting (cuz i'm daft, and I accidentally threw out the pattern I used for the corset). I take that back. I actually found the pattern. I raised the neckline a bit and widened the straps to cover the corset straps in case I can fit into it some day. I think the neckline could still be a bit higher. I'm quite happy with the position of the lacings. I think its actually a little too big for me, though. I guess that means all the cords in the corset really shrink it a great deal, cuz this is the same exact size pattern. Now I don't feel so bad....
Here is my work in progress:




I decided the v back neckline would be nice. Mental note to shorten the back waistline a bit so it doesn't do that bunching thing....

5 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Yay Julie! Yay costumes. I bored the dress engineer to tears (well, more to ignoring me) over lunch today discussing the merits of a gathered vs. gored kirtle. Seriously bored him. Eventually, he suggested the gored, which was enough to convince me to do the gathered!

I think I shall be sans corset as well. We will be exceedingly comfy. Which kind of boning did you use in the Venetian bodice? I'm going on faith here that if the dress alone was enough support for you, hopefully it will be for me too!

3:12 PM  
Blogger Julebug said...

Well, for the venetian I used zipties for the boning.
I'm not quite sure whether to bone my flemish or not. I'm kinda leaning towards some boning right along where the lacing holes will be for integrity of the eyelets, but no where else. Do you think that a stiff canvas lining would be good enough? I wouldn't mind being "round" like the flemish portrait ladies. As long as the bottom's tight enough to hold up my bosoms....

Yeah, I definitely need to think about this.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Round is good. Pancake boobies is bad. I fear the latter most abjectly. I'm thinking about sticking in several pieces of boning just 'cause. Didja have a bunch of pieces in the Venetian? And straight up and down or angled?

3:50 PM  
Blogger Julebug said...

Well, in the orange dress, the boning was pretty much like this:

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/169/2948/1024/031605boning.jpg

(this is really a pic of the green before it was altered to front lacing).

4:33 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Ah thank you for the link. I think I'll use something of that nature for this.

I love the flowered toile. It's so you. Okay, I actually DO love the lines of the bodice. Good job!!!

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home