Julie's Flemish Peasant

Cuz every girl needs a dress that can roll in the hay.

Friday, September 30, 2005

24 Hrs and Counting.

Well, here it is: Booger Christmas mates with Great Pumpkin:


redover Posted by Picasa

I quite obviously haven't hemmed yet. Yes, beth....I'm waiting for you. Adam's pinning was not to my liking--and there were other issues that will be illuminated below.
So....the rundown:
The overdress is fully reversible booger/red. The box pleats are cheated a little, since I didn't have enough fabric for full box pleats. it has the effect at least.
Here it is reversed to booger:


The thing I DON'T like about my overdress is that I have the top lacing rings placed too high. I have to take some out and readjust to get my spiral lacing working again. Blast. But the top ribbon of the overdress lacing is HIGHER than the neckline of the ornge, and it just looks stupid. I haven't hemmed because I need to get up inside the bodice to make these adjustments.

And!!!!!!!! Wheeeee!!!!!!!!!! My adorable hat came in:


This is my favorite part of the overdress: How the lacings rings are embeded into the edge seam to expose only a half circle:

lacings Posted by Picasa

That's all for now. No doubt there will be Beth/Julie pictures after the weekend.

Beth--I really will TRY to clean before you get here. But I apologize to you and the dress engineer in advance for the mess. :)

8 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

LOVE the hat. It is so cute that my hat can no longer come. It would have to hang it's head.

I think the lacing ring thing isn't too bad. You just have to take the top two off, then move the remaining top left one down by half a unit. I love the way you did them.

I'll be glad to help with hemming and whatever else is needed. I think probably the only thing I'll have to do tonight or in the morning is to pick out some machine-basting stitches that show on the top of my bodice. I forgot about that. So we'll have plenty of time!!!

10:26 AM  
Blogger Julebug said...

Thanks for "volunteering" to help with hems. I may actually try to turn out a quick pair of sleeves tonight, too. Its going to be 76 in MD tomorrow, and I get cold easily (especially in the shade of MD rennfest). No worries, I already have the pattern for them (i hope/think).

As for hats--niter isn't coming. ;) I give you permission to flounce about in hers if you so wish.
And you hopefully will be willing to cart her ginormous hat back for her? You could "forget" to give it to her. Mwahahahaha.

Of course, she knows where you live...

12:42 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

She definitely knows where I live....she stealthily left a package on my front porch this morning. But Captain Dex was on the spot and heard her. And was so gracious as to wake me with a discreet "ahem, woof!" Good dog. But yes. I'll be glad to cart the enormous hat back....after I just, you know, try it on to make sure she'll like it!

I will definitely have sleeve envy. I have the black linen, but not the pattern. And a 6 hour drive. So no, no sleeves for me.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Julebug said...

Bring your sleeve fabric. Sleeves are fast.

You may use my facilities. And my pattern. Assuming said pattern is actually in existance, like i think it is. Its a curvy arm one! Woohoo!

2:14 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Oh say! I have that pattern. I forgot! It's in Dorothy-blue right? Ok, I'll grab the fabric just in case there's time. 'Cause seriously, Aaron would probably love to play with Adam's video games while we sew.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Actually, I'll grab the pattern too. Just in case your pattern has vanished into the void.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Ahoy, me again. I have a question for ya: How did you get your lacing rings to stay half in the seam? When I tried they came mostly out of the seam.... and yours look so wonderful :) Thanks!

8:14 PM  
Blogger Julebug said...

Hey Laura, sorry it took me so long to reply to this question. My "secret":I ended up tacking the rings down to the interlining so that they couldn't move further out of the seam than I wanted them to. They're sewn into the seam, but they're also securely stiched to the denim interlining. Does that make sense?

They still eek out a bit during the day, but it was the best I could do.

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home